Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Skinny Sweaty Man in a Green Suit...


 The year is 1988. It was late May, maybe early June. After saving much birthday and christmas money I ride my bike to The Warehouse on El Camino in Sunnyvale, CA with the sole intention to purchase one thing... The Iron Maiden album, "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son". I had all but worn out my cassette's of "Somewhere in Time" and "Piece of Mind". I needed some New Maiden! I park my bike out front and walk inside. I see it, there it , a Huge Display on the back wall, it had just recently been released and it was epic… I step inside, making my way to the back… But this sound, captivating, mesmerizing, almost subliminal, a song so familiar, I knew every word...


"Fight Like a Brave, Don't be a Slave, No one can tell you, You've got to be a Slave!"


 Wait... where do I know this from? Oh yeah, "The Red Hot Chili Peppers", I had seen this video one night on Mtv. It was so Funky and Alive! I had to know more, had to have it! I asked the clerk what album this song(playing in the store) was from. "You like the Chili's huh? Right on little dude!" He directs me over to the area where their cassettes are, and there it is... "The Uplift Mofo Party Plan" the Album that changed my life forever! I got it and "Freaky Styley" on the spot. I became a Red Hot Chili Pepper fan for Life! It was just weeks later that I read about Hillel Slovak's Death, I was crushed. This band that I had just gotten into and Loved... Could it be over?


 Fast forward... Almost a year later. Mtv special news Flash, "New Red Hot Chili Peppers video to Premier... Stay Tuned." I flipped out! Couldn't wait to see it, hear the new song, learn who joined the band!


TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment