Saturday, October 8, 2011

OMC How Bizarre

 It really is amazing the effect music has on us. The way it shapes our memories and holds us in a place and time, if just for a moment... This fact is so very true for me when I listen to the "How Bizarre" Album by OMC (Otara Millionaires Club). I'm sure many of you remember them as a one hit wonder by their hit single by the same name, "How Bizarre". But I know them from their album in it's entirety. I love this CD! So severely underrated. This album really had no success in the States, but in other countries, especially "New Zealand"(where the group comes from) it got much play and was in a solid rotation. Spawning many singles for radio play. None hit bigger than "How Bizarre", but still gained recognition.

 My favorite tracks, "Land of Plenty", "Right On", "On the run", "How Bizarre", "Never Coming Back" and "Lingo with the Gringo". Not that I don't love the rest! But these stand out to me. I really like this album set to loop in a CD player. I can let it run 3 to 4(hell sometimes more) times over. The beats, rhythms and rhymes. Use of horns and so much percussion. This album has it all, a real treat. So much better than the crap we are forced to endure each time we flip on the "Clear Channel®" station of choice. But you really have no choice... "Radio plays what they want you to hear"(Thanks REEL BIG FISH) and it's mostly commercials. I refuse to play that game, so I dig threw my old stacks and racks to give me sonic freedom!

 I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Pauly Fuemana (Jan 31st 2010), the lead vocalist and driving force of the duo that was OMC. Alan Jansson was the other half of the band and due to conflicts over royalties, the two split from making music together in 1998. So "How Bizarre" was their one and only release. For me, it's one of my favorite "Summertime CD's". It invokes dreams of long road trips and playing at the beach, warm breezes and sitting in an EZ-Chair with a beer, letting the sounds pour over you like the rays of the "hot hot sun". I really can not imagine a world where this music does not exist. This album speaks truth and triumph for it's young artists, coming up from humble beginnings in Auckland. Otara is one of the poorest suburbs in Auckland. However, this album and it's hit single have become the countries largest selling musical export of it's kind. "How Bizarre" is the biggest selling record ever to be released by an act originating from and recorded in New Zealand. Having sold around four million copies world wide.

 I was lucky enough to have an early release which came with(Track 11) the cover song of " I Love LA". I remember thinking it was my least favorite song on the album, back in the late 90's. But cherish it now, as I do the rest.

Please enjoy a few choice tracks









 I really hope you took the time to check out these songs, I dig each of them. Thank you for your time.

"Cheers!!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment